Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Meet a REAL Kosciusko County Client

"My body is broken,
but my spirit isn't"
A sign that reads “Bonnie’s Command Center” hangs in the independent living apartment of 62 year old Bonnie, a REAL Service client since 2010.  A handmade sign created by her daughter-in-law because “this is where I run my life,” Bonnie expresses as she stretches her arms out in motion to her whole apartment.  Living by herself in a comfortable one-room independent living apartment, Bonnie declares how thankful she is to be living there on her own and with frequent visits from her family.

Right away, Bonnie begins speaking about her former career as a nurse for 30 years, her achievement of becoming the first hospice coordinator in the county, having worked for the state board of health for a number of years, and teaching and setting up a nursing lab at Ivy Tech for 18 years.  However, her most important achievement that she speaks of is raising her three sons.  Bonnie’s greatest joy in life are her three sons and four (soon to be six) grandchildren.  She expresses how much happiness it brings her when they come make surprise visits and that she is able to see them frequently.

Bonnie suffered a stroke at the age of 57, which has caused her health to progressively decline since then. After her stroke, she was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s. Additionally, she has left ventricular hypertrophy, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, chronic bronchitis, pulmonary hypertension, and pancreas failure, which has caused her to become diabetic.  She has also experienced renal failure, dissolving discs in her back, shingles, gout depression, anxiety, high cholesterol, and psoriatic arthritis.

“When you’re as sick as I am, your whole world changes,” Bonnie says. “And to have REAL Services come in and understand that, understand that your world is different, and wanting to make your world the best that it can be...” 

Bonnie knows that she and her family would not be where they are today if it wasn’t for REAL Services.  “There are just no words to thank them for everything they have done and continue to do,” she says as she expresses her gratuity for the agency.

As the conversation with Bonnie comes to an end, she explains how she has learned to cope and live with her disease and illnesses.  “I have learned more about grace and mercy and what it truly means when you’re by yourself, maybe laying in bed with your oxygen, on a Sunday afternoon, remembering when you used to be outside with the grand-kids.  And I’ve learned to live with such a peace.  My body is broken, but my spirit isn’t.” 

As hard as her struggles may be, Bonnie has a strong faith that helps her through her difficult days. Knowing that there is always support from her family and through REAL Services gives her a positive attitude and encourages her to keep her head held high.

A letter from Bonnie:

“I believe with all my heart my heavenly Father has and continues to take care of me in such detail. And he does this through so many avenues among them at the head of the team is REAL Services. Through my case manager, Christina Nine, I have a lifeline that has built a support team that is so effective that I am able to still live in my independent living apartment here at Grace Village. Christina is very gifted in approaching care holistically. She coordinates my care through home health care, Irish and Health force, she assesses my needs, seems to be able to project what might be needed, she’s helped with equipment and nutrition, but mostly she’s been extremely helpful in getting my family together and agreeing to help us through group meetings, one-on-one intervening with my sons when they really needed her and help with understanding my disease process, and has helped my family as a whole.”

No comments:

Post a Comment