Thursday, April 9, 2015

A True Success Story

REAL Services is the Community Action Agency for Elkhart, Fulton, LaPorte, Kosciusko and St. Joseph Counties. Community Action Agencies in Indiana recently celebrated 50 years of respectfully providing services for low income Hoosiers. What does Community Action look like at the local level? Carlicia is just one example...

REAL Service’s Community Action Agency began working with Carlicia in 2011; her story began with some struggles including being a new mom, a single parent, and a college student while working at a part-time job.

“In the beginning of this process I had been in school for a couple of years, but I still had a long way to go and needed some serious help. Meeting and developing such a great relationship with the Real Services staff has been very beneficial for helping me reach major goals in my life,” Carlicia states. 

In only a few years’ time, she and her daughter have reached a new level of stability. In 2014, Carlicia graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree and then earned her Teaching License. She is now working full-time as an elementary school teacher allowing her to leave the Family Development Program as financially self-sufficient. Carlicia saved monthly and with ongoing support provided by the Family Development Program and her Individual Development Account case manager, she has become the first person in the program to use their assets to purchase a home. 

Carlicia is quoted as saying that “REAL Services has been a huge resource for me while going through college and entering motherhood. I was able to get assistance with purchasing books for classes and even gas money to get to school. I am also very blessed to be a part of the “IDA All Stars”!!! Through this program I have saved money for a home and have reached my goal of becoming a home owner!”

Carlicia says with gratitude, “Real Services helped me become self-sufficient and now they are sending me into the world to use everything that I have learned to help me become a successful leader. I appreciate everything that all of the Real Services staff has done to help me become the woman that I am today.”

No comments:

Post a Comment